Friday, April 27, 2018

The Moffats


Growing up, I spent a lot of my time reading. I read books my parents
bought me, books I checked out from the library, books I borrowed from
my friends, and even some books I bought for myself when my small
allowance allowed. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve shied away from reading more
and more, which is a shame. Recently however, I’ve been reading more,
 whether by myself, with both of my parents, or just with my mom over lunch.
One of the books that my mom and I just finished is The Moffats, by Eleanor
Estes. This book is one of the solid cornerstones of my childhood reading
experience, and it was a treat to be able to read again.
The Moffats is a book about a small family living in Cranbury, Connecticut, 
who are trying to make it by without much but each other. The book explores
the lives of Mama, Sylvie, Joey, Janey, and Rufus Moffat as they go about their
daily lives living in the Little Yellow House. My favorite part of the book is how
well Estes puts you into the thoughts of whichever Moffat is narrating the story
at the time, especially Janey’s perspective. Janey just has this unusual and very
amusing way of looking at the world that reminds me of the way I used to think
of things as a little kid.
The Moffats is a book full of great lessons about family, sharing, and all sorts
of other good-old-fashioned values. This is one of those books that’s great for
all ages. It gives you a great sense of nostalgia, joy, and a desire to go for a nice
Sunday ride with the Salvation Army Man!

No comments:

Post a Comment