Thursday, April 2, 2020

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro




This book has sat on my bookshelf for a few years. March, remember March? What a March! Well, that was a good month for me to finally check this book off my to-read list.

An intriguing story and, while I liked the understated nature of the writing, I constantly felt like I really wanted more details.  At first, I thought those details would come later in the story, but they never really did.  You understood that these were "different" children, and then you understand why it is that they are different, but the 10,000 questions and conflicts that I wanted to know more about were never addressed.   For me, this story was begging for so much more description than it ever got.  I would not reread.  I might recommend, but not to everyone. For a bit more summary, here's what the MORE catalog has to say...
MORE Catalogue summary:
Hailsham seems like a pleasant English boarding school, far from the influences of the city. Its students are well tended and supported, trained in art and literature, and become just the sort of people the world wants them to be. But, curiously, they are taught nothing of the outside world and are allowed little contact with it. Within the grounds of Hailsham, Kathy grows from schoolgirl to young woman, but it's only when she and her friends Ruth and Tommy leave the safe grounds of the school (as they always knew they would) that they realize the full truth of what Hailsham is.

No comments:

Post a Comment